The Council supports education and awareness for students with disabilities, families, and educators about planning for transition and setting goals for the future. Our objective is to help families, students, and others to set high expectations and have the skills needed to engage in a student-centered, strength-based transition planning process that leads to positive outcomes in employment, education, and community living.
The Idaho Secondary Transition Institute is a capacity building conference supported by a collaboration of partners from the Idaho Interagency Council on Secondary Transition, including the Council. Educators, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors and school administrators receive information about best practice in secondary transition planning for students in special education. School districts teams from across Idaho spend time learning new strategies and developing district transition plans to improve post-secondary outcomes for students with disabilities.
Current Projects & Activities
- Support for Idaho Secondary Transition Institute
The Council helps in planning and implementation of this institute which happened virtually in March 2021 – 2020/2021 Virtual Idaho Transition Institute. The next in-person institute will be held at Boise State University in November 2021.
- Animated Videos on Social Security Work Incentives
Six animated videos explaining Social Security work incentives have been created for Idaho. The information is presented in plain language and aims to help transition-age youth, their families and anyone with a disability understand strategies and resources available to help a person who receives public benefits go to work.
Publications Related to Goals & Objectives
- Expecting a Bright Future: Growing Towards Employment and Future Success
- Esperando un Futuro Brillante: Desarrollándose para el Empleo y Éxito Futuro
- Planning for the Rest of their Lives: Supported Decision Making in Transition Services
- Planeando para el Resto de sus Vidas: La Toma de Decisiones Apoyada en los Servicios de Transición
- Transition Resources in Idaho and Beyond
- What is Customized Employment?
Related Materials & Resources
- Idaho Moving On Binder
- Idaho Able to Work
- Social Security Income and Working: Animated Video Series – Idaho Department of Labor
- Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability – Youth
- Office on Disability Employment Policy – Customized Employment information and video examples
- Jobseeker Toolkit – Youth in Transition
- Jobseeker – ONLINE LEARNING MODULES
- Road to Transition – A Guided Tour for Accessing Adult Services (Medicaid DD Services publication)